self therapy III

How can i deal with this traumatic images in a constructive way?


When they pop up in my mind i will do the following: i take a deep breath and acknowledge that they are here. I stay calm instead of getting afraid and paralyzed by them. The initial reason why they are here is a good one after all: what i see is important to me. I want the animals to be free. So the images are reminding me constantly of my duties. This is a good thing for staying on the right track. I know excactly what i want. But i could advocate even more for animal liberation if this images wouldn't be traumatic, paralyzing and sickening but ecstatic, strengthening and uplifting instead. So how can i change this images so that they can benefit me?

The pigs i see...i want them to be free and happy. So when i see traumatic images i change them so i see them living in freedom, playing happily beneath the trees. In my mind i liberate them and lead them to a place where they can live as autonomous as possible.

The exploited worker in the mobile phone industry...i want her to be free and happy. She shall not be condemned to work under such horrible conditions. In my mind i see her standing up...rise...uniting with other coworkers to fight for better working conditions – and succeeding. I see her living in freedom. Strong. Self-sustaining. Unbending.

The forest being cut down...i want it to grow back and to be protected. People buy the forest and declare it a nature-sanctuary.

The wide-bucket excavator...i want it to stop mining. I see the machine stop and used as a memorial for sustainability. The forest grows back to the beauty it once was.

The cow waiting for slaughter...i want her to break out. She lives with her calf in happiness with her cow-friends.



How can i make this images disappear?

I don't think that it's possible to make them disappear from my mind completely. This is not even necessary. They just need to lose their traumatic impact they have on me. It's just reality what i'm seeing. Amplified and brutal, but real.

Even if it's not possible to erase them from my mind, i can focus on something else. For example when i am having a deep and interesting talk with someone or when playing music. Listening to music helps a lot, but making music myself is even better. When i am playing guitar everything else gets muted until there is only me and the guitar. Flow. So i prescribe myself a daily dose of playing guitar even if its just for a few minutes. Seems like i need this so i can go on with advocating.

Kommentare