the bliss of ignorance


you could say i have a lot of my needs met. I have enough money, a room for myself, food, drinkable water, proper heating and the opportunity to educate myself. Furthermore supportive friends and family. In short: a lot of freedom. If i was a completely egoistic person, i would have a great life.

But i am not that kind of person. I actually care a lot about the things that happen around me and globally. I think about animal exploitation and other big complex problems like climate change. Not from time to time, but permanently. This issues are always on my mind except for those carefree moments when i immerse in music or some kind of game.

Big issues like animal exploitation can of course put a lot of stress on me. I know that terrible things are happening to animals in this moment and i feel the horror that they are going through. Some people seem to be very good at protecting themselves from such empathic overload or manage to fade out the disturbing images of factory farming. They seem to forget the violence and just go on living their lives. Or they find a carnistic excuse for animal exploitation like stressing how normal and necessary this all is.

I on the other hand am not good at shielding myself from this violence. I used to think that i could handle everything as i have witnessed a lot of violence troughout the last years of animal rights activism. But i was wrong. Without noticing it i have traumatized myself over and over again. I am now in a state of severe mental illness. So i try to repair the mental damage i have caused to myself.

Kommentare